Friday, January 20, 2006

feeling up

Last night, snokilla, myself, jessica and her friend went to coco on paseo boricua. Martinis and learning to dance to latin music...not only on the floor but also on the street with the cuban man who never walked inside, but rather kept the beat outside, occasionally banging on the window for his favorites. I already want an americorps/teachers from the school after hours field trip. Maybe even on a saturday night when they have a live salsa band.

This morning was my last day with the kindygarteners (some of whom should probably be cast as the next generation of peanuts). Sad to leave such cuteness, but exciting to exclusively work with 4th and 6th graders (peace games, tutoring and mentoring that we call 'buddies'). Today, though, was a bit of a scary day... the assistant principal was scheduled to come by to observe the new method of 'learning centers' (educational games the kids rotate through, grouped by level of understanding... the furthest back work solely with the teacher for two straight rounds). Teacher and I were surprised when not only did ms. m walk in the room, but was joined by the other two head administators. The kids were wild, but mostly stayed on task. As they walked out of the room, ms. m tapped me and told me to find her in her office.

Somethings never change, getting called to the principal's office is scary. When I walked in though, she told me that she wanted to know what the deal was, cause I better be figuring out how to become a teacher. Flattered, I essentially put it out there that I'd be interested in a job next year as a teacher's assistant and was also considering my southside catholic grade school as they don't have a certification requirement to start. She doesn't know that they'll have an open position here, but suggested checking online for schools emphasizing the importance of me being a boy who is good/into working with primary grades.

This is the first job I've cared about in as long as I can remember. I feel good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home